Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Another Aussie Lesson



One thing I've noticed after living in Australia for a good amount of time is that they tend to strike a healthy balance between work and play. This is something that I noticed that Americans tend not to do so well. Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of different people in the states. Some people are workaholics and some people are complete bums. However, as a whole I believe Americans generally skew more towards working, than playing.

When I was in Wake Forest, this was definitely the case. All the people I surrounded myself with were so darn serious about the future. They worked, at did extra-curricular activities, and went to interview, and participated in internships, and everything and anything they could do advance their careers. I'm not saying this is a bad thing either. I think it's great that America is made up of people who are hard workers and work towards getting what they want out of life. I guess that's one of the reasons we're such as successful country. HOwever, sometimes this gets to the point where it's too much.

Sometimes it's okay not to do anything, just for the sake of not doing anything. This is something I definitely noticed out in Australia. People definitely work hard out here, but they don't let it take over their lives like so many people I saw back home. They always make time to relax and do other things with their time other than working. Maybe it's the fact that the weather out here is so amazing and we live right by the beach. Whatever the case may be, I definitely notice a bit more smiles and laughter out here, I guess because no one isn't as stressed.

Again, I'm loving it out here. Everyone here is so relaxed and it's been very good to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment